Home » Hypoglycemia » The Nutrition-Behaviour Inventory (NBI)

The Nutrition-Behaviour Inventory (NBI)

By Jurriaan Plesman, BA(Psych), Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr

Hypoglycemia or Insulin Resistance Syndrome can only be diagnosed accurately by the special Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) as designed by Dr George Samra and described under the article Testing for Hypoglycemia and How the Doctor can Help.

However this medical test is expensive and can be stressful, especially for hypoglycemics.
An alternative is The Nutrition-Behavior Inventory Questionnaire.

The Nutrition-Behavior Inventory (NBI) is a pencil-and-paper test for assessing the influence of nutrition on ‘psychological’ symptoms of behaviour.

The test was created by Dr Alexander Schauss and its attached to his book:

Schauss, AG(1980), DIET, CRIME AND DELINQUENCY, Parker House, Berkeley, Cal.

This book is a must for any one interested in the relation of nutrition and behaviour and should be in the library of any Probation and Parole Officer, Social Worker or counsellor.

It is also appended in my book: GETTING OFF THE HOOK with Dr Schauss’s permission.

The NBI can be accessed below as a pdf file and it is recommended that the person – counsellor or client – make several copies. This will enable the client to monitor him/herself to see if any improvement has occurred since the adoption of the hypoglycemic diet and avoidance of any allergies.

To score the questionnaire, add up the number of responses (by crosses) under “Rarely”, “Occasionally” or “Usually”. Do not add up the number of responses under “Never”.

Fill in the number of responses for each column below to get a total score as follows:

We tested the NBI with 225 subjects consisting of

Control 136
Addicts in recovery 49
Hypoglycemics* 40

* The 40 Hypoglycemic patients were tested by Dr George Samra with the special GTT for Hypoglycemia.

We obtained the following results:

From the chart it can be concluded that any score –

between 50 – 60 is borderline,

between 60-70 is likely,

above 70 is the most likely to indicate a metabolic disorder.

If in doubt and to investigate the exact nature of one’s glucose intolerance it is advisable to have your doctor diagnose this with a complete Glucose Tolerance Test for Hypoglycemia.

The Nutrition-Behavior Inventory Questionnaire: Click Here

33 Responses

1. Grace says:

Thank you very much for the provided information and tests!

I scored 71 here, and 21 on the questionnaire where above 15 is considered having “hypoglycemic disease,” yet the two endocrinologists who have looked at my OGTT said I was ok, having no metabolic disorder.

2. Judy says:

I want to THANK YOU, too, for the info and tests here. 2 PCPs and an FNP in an endocrinology clinic have insisted that I take less thyroid hormone than the same dose I had been on for 28 years successfully. Despite worsening symptoms with these dose changes, all 3 practitioners have all insisted that I be treated based on labs only. I took the NBI and will be carrying it to the endocrinologist’s office with me tomorrow.

3. Jurriaan Plesman says:

Hi Grace
    Most conventional doctors are unaware of hypoglycemia as a distinct illness from diabetes. The medical test is explained at:
    Testing for Hypoglycemia,

4. Samuel Halfon says:

I scored 108. In some way this is a bad news, because it clearly states that I am an hypoglycemic, but in some other way it is an excellent news, because after 12 years of fighting against severe depression, mood swings, random thoughts and cravings, with no clue whatsoever where to look for THE main reason for all this (after many therapies, 4 psychiatrists, all kinds of treatments and experiments), I now have a realistic lead on where to investigate.
    Thank you so much for this, and may many people in the same situation as mine find this great website. I wish more so-called MDs at least had a clue about this instead of repeating the sales pitch of pharma companies for the sake of the greatness of killing medicines. Thank you FDA, thank you WHO for being the biggest mass murderers in history of mankind.

5. David says:

I scored 47. Good news and helpful to know that I’m not hypoglycemic so I can look at other possible issues. My blood test for thyroid, glucose, iron, colesterol and trace elements were all OK, so it is probably food or situational factors making me feel bad. Thanks for the survey.

6. Matt says:

I scored 83. Although I question the differentiation between a metabolic cause for such a score on this particular measure and a purely psychiatric one. Particularly if scores around the food questions are negligible.

7. debs says:

I scored 105 and 25 respectively. Having suffered terrible mood swings, inner voices constantly talking away to me, negative outlooks and most upsetting of all for the past few years, serious memory loss, this seems like a god send of an answer. Let’s hope my doctor allows for the tests and doesn’t do the normal fobbing off, get over it attitude.

• Jurriaan Plesman says:

Of course I do not know your condition. Whatever you illness is, it seems that hypoglycemia could play a part. But you personal doctor is best placed to give you professional advice.

8. Michael says:

I scored a 96. I have struggled with this most of my life– irritability and anger expressed towards loved ones has been the result. I’ve known that I need to eat many small meals a day but its difficult, so I need to increase my efforts in that regard. I quit caffeine two weeks ago and have eliminated honey, sugar, and sweets in the past week.

Have you had any experience with acupuncture or homeopathic treatments? I visited a naturopath a couple of days ago and he says that in Chinese medicine the liver is the mood stabilizer so we are working towards clearing energy blockages in my liver. I’ve had one treatment, I’ll let you know how it goes.

9. Gordon says:

I scored 123. This can’t be good. Even if the test is only partly right, such a high score must indicate something. Sadly, I do not expect my doctor to care.

I try to control my food carefully, but even today, I wonder if my outburst was related to 3 hours without intake of anything.

Still, thanks for the test. I will make use of this info even if my doctor does not.

10. Jurriaan Plesman says:

The first line of attack is the adoption of the hypoglycaemic diet, which also gives you a reference to “Simple Dietary Rules”.