Home » Hypoglycemia » Hypoglycemia questionnaire

Hypoglycemia questionnaire

Click here for a printable PDF of this questionnaire

Hypoglycemia affects about 4% of the population.  It is a reactive condition occurring in response to sugar or sweet food consumption. It is not rare!  This is not diabetes!

Hypoglycemia means ‘low blood sugar level’.  The term is used to describe a metabolic disorder that may manifest in a variety of physical and psychological symptoms.  Try doing the following questionnaire:

Never Rarely Occasionally Usually
1.   I get tired or exhausted.
2.   I forget things easily.
3.   I feel sleepy during the day.
4.   I get down or depressed.
5.   I get down over nothing.
6.   I have trouble concentrating.
7.   I get nervous or shaky.
8.   I easily get angry.
9.   I eat or crave sweets, or once used to.
10. I awaken during the night.

TOTAL:

SCORING

Total the number of ticks in each column for RARELY, OCCASIONALLY, and USUALLY and then calculate as follows:-

RARELY:               (Total) x 1 =
OCCASIONALLY:   (Total) x 2 =
USUALLY:             (Total) x 3 =
Add together for TOTAL SCORE

If your TOTAL SCORE IS:

Less than 8:           Hypoglycemic disease is unlikely

Between 8 to 15:   Hypoglycemic disease is possible.

Above 15:             Hypoglycemic disease is present.

If you have scored above 15 please read on for what to do next

What do I do if I think I have Hypoglycemia?

This Questionnaire has been provided by the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia in order to help health professionals and sufferers identify, diagnose and treat this condition.

Hypoglycemia affects 4% of the population.  It often runs in families and can lead to Type 2 Diabetes (Maturity Onset).

Ask your doctor to order the correct Pathology Test for this condition GTT – 4 hrs with all ½ hourly readings, not the 2 hour GTT used to diagnose Diabetes.

To interpret your result have a look at the article Testing for Hypoglycemia and how your doctor can help.

As with global warming, some health professionals are what we call Hypoglycemic Deniers.  Most doctors have little or no experience in treating this condition.  Ask your doctor this “How would you feel if your blood sugar was 2.4?”  The correct answer is awful because below 3.4mm/l the brain is starving for fuel. You feel rotten!  This is not a rare condition. Under normal circumstances the brain relies on blood glucose as its only fuel!

This website has many useful articles, newsletters and book recommendations as well as joining up information.

Did you know diagnosing Hypoglycemia and treating it correctly would save the community millions in schooling, alcohol and drug abuse, psychology and psychiatry and medicine in particular by preventing diabetes.

MAJOR CLUES ON DIET AND MANAGEMENT

1. Avoid sugar and sweet foods strictly
  2. Have a quality protein breakfast every morning eg:  2 eggs, rissoles, mince, chicken, fish – fresh or tinned, 2 chops, 80 grams minimum serve.

Best of luck in your quest for good health.

USEFUL SUPPLEMENTS

B Complex, Zinc, Chromium and Vitamin C – Ask your friendly Chemist or Health Food Store.

44 Responses

1. Ray Simpson says:

I have got to say thank you so,so much for your website.
    I would really like to share my breif story so you know what sort of an impact websites like your can have on peoples lifes.
    It has taken me many years to completely ‘cure’ myself of the ‘symptoms’ of high glycemic/western grain based food including (unfortunately) 100% of all fruits and several vegetables such as potatoes, beetroot, corn (which is a grain) and pumpkins. I did not know why I had to completely stop drinking alcohol several years ago but my body and brain just said no more. A hangover would feel like an autopsy with depression and sometimes raging anger.I was not an alcoholic by a long shot but would sometimes drink too much as stopping after 2 or 3 would bring a crash that could only be temporarilly cured by over eating of bad food or more beer. I was a sugar/grain junkie because as with most drugs I suppose the only way to cure the down is with another ‘hit’. For me 1 beer is too much, 1 apple is too much, even 1 of the lowest of glycemic fruits can be too much such as cherries, blackberries, loganberries and apricots to name a few (and I do love these fruits but also hate them in equal doses for what they can lead to)
    There is an addiction in the mouth that is well documented to which I call an addictive sweet tooth which as for alcoholics does not allow for just 1 beer as I struggle to have just 1 or 2 cherries. Every so often I do try cautiousy some very low glycemic fruit but I do understand that I may never be able to eat small amounts of this fruit on a regular basis without forming a habit
    The information on Hypoglycemia and sugar/refined grain addiction is not available at your GP or just about any so called health profesionals and is not taught to them as there simply is no profit to be made from curing this ‘symptom’ of a Western/ modern agricultural diet based on grain, sweets and fibreless food which is simply inapropriate food. For me hypoglycemia is a sympton of an incorrect diet and nothing more. The mental and physical issues are symptoms of hypoglycemia which can lead to more symptoms known as a disfunctional life. Once I completely removed the inappropriate diet with great conviction and a change in my belief system based on much reading I realised that I have never felt as good as I did then and still do now. I can run 4 km at cardio, I am fit, lean and have muscles like my grand dad did, I have great energy, think clearly, remember things well and now understand why my grand dad never ate the sweets.
    I had been told by a Psychiatrist about 5 years ago that I had Bi Polar and that I need to take toxic Lithium and SSRI’s to live a normal live, the GP said I had depression and needed Lexapro (he went on to say that they are working good for him as he also had depression to try and convince me to accept them when I told him of the harm they can do), my Natropath said toxins were the problem ( I do feel a lot better after long term chelation) and even the Chiropractor said that it was because of a bend in my spine squashing nerves.
    I believe 3 of these 4 had good intentions but just have been taught the wrong information.
    I now eat a lot of vegetables and a moderate amount of animal protein. I now have established and own a Biodynamic vegetable farm so have access to the highest standard of produce. We try and eat a lot of vegetables raw as to not diturb the fibre and rise the GI.
    A tell tale sign for me now that some particular food is wrong in my diet is if I yawn during the day. I can say if I get enough sleep (and I sleep like a baby now) and drink enough water I do not yawn nor have a flat spot in the day on any day.
    I have read and read and read and am very educated now on my health
    I am now 37 and feel beeter than I have ever felt in my entire life and have been helping a few other people with sugar/carb addiction.

Thanks again for your website and great information.
    Kind Regards,
    Ray Simpson

2. Kate says:

I often have very bad anxiety attacks after drinking alcohol. I feel very miserable and hyper alert. I can’t sleep. I have taken Zoloft for years and have recently lower the dosage and have been feeling quite good. I have been limiting my alcohol intake as I used to drink a lot when I was younger. One night of alcohol abuse has Mage me feel less confident, that I have no friends ( which is totally untrue, but I believe it anyway). Clearly never drinking again will definitely help these feelings but sometimes when I am feeling good and want to be social I like to have a drink, but can’t always seem to stop at one or two. Some advice would be appreciated as I hate the anxiety that will last for some days yet. If I think there is hope of a way for this not to happen I am able to endure.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Kate

• Jurriaan Plesman says:

There are quite a few articles about addiction at this web site. Use the search engine:

Why addiction to Alcohol?
      Alcohol is a Treatable disease
      Drug addiction is a Nutritional Disorder
      Why Addiction to marijuana

3. Heinz Grabowski says:

I have suffered from this condition as far as I can think back. When I was little, during World War II, I would steal sugar to get my fix. When I get cravings now, and over the last forty of more years, I have to have my sugar fix no matter what. If I don,t, I go down in a heap in no time. Recovery is usually two to three days.

4. becca says:

Hey, Jurplesman, I have added you on facebook to see your updates. Your posts I have copied and placed into a forum I go to, to show people how to heal from their high anxiety/depression. I also would like to message you to ask some questions about the diet because I have to get on a stricter diet due to digestive issues, like I can’t eat eggs, I get sick etc. Thank you for being such an inspiration for so many people. You are one of a kind.

5. becca says:

Did my comment get deleted for some reason? I asked questions because I’m having constant hypoglycemic episodes 247 and no doctor will see me because I can’t work in canada due to being a us citizen and every doctor says I have delusional disorder or just anxiety disorder. Wow, I guess no one wants to help me. Thanks for deleting my comment.

6. becca says:

Nevermind, please delete my last comment and this one. I didn’t see it awaiting moderation. I’m in a panic today from low blood sugar, cranky and depressed. Sorry!

7. Jurriaan Plesman says:

Becca, I am sorry if I missed your messages. You can also communicate with me at:
    Depression and Nutrition Facebook

8. ben says:

Hello. I am amazed and completely lost by what has been written above.. I answered usually on 9 out of 10 in the questionnaire and for the last 4 years have been suffering so badly from low energy mood strength stamina the doctors repeatedly just tell me I’m anxious and after calculating each one of those years ive spent between 2000 and 4000 dollars on meds.supplements and psychology sessions all with little to no improvement.
    I dont believe its anxiety. I know what anxiety is.

Incredibly like ray above. I cannot tolerate alcohol.two sips will leave me with a hangover.
    I get absurdly jerky and tense under pressure or during/after exercise but no energy like anxiety typically floods you with. I will lose energy from minor effort. I feel like my brain could sleep as I work, walk, talk and exercise and the flow on physical fatigue is ridiculous for my age of 28. I desperately want to build muscle and do long runs like I did in early 20s.

When it comes to eating I would normally fade away with no energy to eat and then when I did my energy would come back a little.

Again during the day I yawn so so many times.i am really frustrated with this symptom.

What I dont understand is why a glucose blood test doesn’t reveal hypoglycemia?

I will try a hypoglycemic diet. Do you have any recommendations on what I should do trom here?
    Will a blood sugar monitor tell me when I should eat, and blood sigar too low?
    Thanks

9. karina valerio says:

BUENOS DIAS, SOY DE URUGUAY, MI DIAGNOSTICO ES HIPERINSULINEMIA Y MEDICADA CON DIAFORMINA 850 LP 1 VEZ AL DIA. MI CURVA DE GLUCOSA DE 3 HORAS DIO MUCHA INSULINA PERO NO BAJADA DE AZUCAR, MI HEMOGLOBINA GLICOSILADA CON DIFERENCIA DE 3 MESES DIO LA 1|: 5.6 Y A LOS 3 MESES DE 5,1: SEGUN MI ENDOCRINOLOGA SIN DUDA HICE ALGUN PICO DE HIPOGLUCEMIA,. MI PREGUNTA ES DESPUES DE 20 MINUTOS DE ALMORZAR COMIENZO CON TAQUICARDIA, MANOS HELADAS, MAREADA AL RATO COMO UN CARAMELO Y LUEGO UNAS GALLETITAS Y MEJORO IGUAL SIENTO ALGO DE MIEDO DE SENTIRME ASI POR QUE ES REALMENTE FEO SERA HIPOGLUCEMIA?

10. Jurriaan Plesman says:

If you don’t find the answer here go to:

Mental Ilness and Nutrition Facebook