Home » Hypoglycemia » Hypoglycemia questionnaire

Hypoglycemia questionnaire

Click here for a printable PDF of this questionnaire

Hypoglycemia affects about 4% of the population.  It is a reactive condition occurring in response to sugar or sweet food consumption. It is not rare!  This is not diabetes!

Hypoglycemia means ‘low blood sugar level’.  The term is used to describe a metabolic disorder that may manifest in a variety of physical and psychological symptoms.  Try doing the following questionnaire:

Never Rarely Occasionally Usually
1.   I get tired or exhausted.
2.   I forget things easily.
3.   I feel sleepy during the day.
4.   I get down or depressed.
5.   I get down over nothing.
6.   I have trouble concentrating.
7.   I get nervous or shaky.
8.   I easily get angry.
9.   I eat or crave sweets, or once used to.
10. I awaken during the night.

TOTAL:

SCORING

Total the number of ticks in each column for RARELY, OCCASIONALLY, and USUALLY and then calculate as follows:-

RARELY:               (Total) x 1 =
OCCASIONALLY:   (Total) x 2 =
USUALLY:             (Total) x 3 =
Add together for TOTAL SCORE

If your TOTAL SCORE IS:

Less than 8:           Hypoglycemic disease is unlikely

Between 8 to 15:   Hypoglycemic disease is possible.

Above 15:             Hypoglycemic disease is present.

If you have scored above 15 please read on for what to do next

What do I do if I think I have Hypoglycemia?

This Questionnaire has been provided by the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia in order to help health professionals and sufferers identify, diagnose and treat this condition.

Hypoglycemia affects 4% of the population.  It often runs in families and can lead to Type 2 Diabetes (Maturity Onset).

Ask your doctor to order the correct Pathology Test for this condition GTT – 4 hrs with all ½ hourly readings, not the 2 hour GTT used to diagnose Diabetes.

To interpret your result have a look at the article Testing for Hypoglycemia and how your doctor can help.

As with global warming, some health professionals are what we call Hypoglycemic Deniers.  Most doctors have little or no experience in treating this condition.  Ask your doctor this “How would you feel if your blood sugar was 2.4?”  The correct answer is awful because below 3.4mm/l the brain is starving for fuel. You feel rotten!  This is not a rare condition. Under normal circumstances the brain relies on blood glucose as its only fuel!

This website has many useful articles, newsletters and book recommendations as well as joining up information.

Did you know diagnosing Hypoglycemia and treating it correctly would save the community millions in schooling, alcohol and drug abuse, psychology and psychiatry and medicine in particular by preventing diabetes.

MAJOR CLUES ON DIET AND MANAGEMENT

1. Avoid sugar and sweet foods strictly
  2. Have a quality protein breakfast every morning eg:  2 eggs, rissoles, mince, chicken, fish – fresh or tinned, 2 chops, 80 grams minimum serve.

Best of luck in your quest for good health.

USEFUL SUPPLEMENTS

B Complex, Zinc, Chromium and Vitamin C – Ask your friendly Chemist or Health Food Store.

44 Responses

1. Donal says:

Hi there, I found that a lot of the symptoms that you and people on your blog describe are applicable to me. I have had a brain tumor removed in 2011 and had several infections in my head after that resulting in having to get the plate removed. I recently got the plate put back in just in September 2013. I have had several blackouts since then. The neurologist has put me on anti seizure medication just before my last operation because I had 2 seizures while the plate was out and was getting pins and kneedles sensations up my right side. All of these were happening before I got the plate put back in my head. Once the plate waks put back in ,the pins and kneedles immediately stopped but I have had several blackouts which they still believe are seizures. As a res,ult of all this they have insisted on keeping me on this medication (lamictal) . The reason I believe that this is hypoglycaemia is because all the se blackouts (seizures) ? Happened in the morning time. I also wake up during the night and fee l shaky and sweaty but cold. I started taking a count of my blood sugars a nod they were as low as 1.9 and didn’t even register once or twice. I have now started to eat more regularly during the day and make sure to eat a banana just as I go to bed. This has certainly helped a bit and topped up with a bottle of lucozade , just two mouthfuls . I can handle it now but i still get shaky in the mornings. Can I do anytHing more. Are the medications effecTing how I’m feeling and will I ever be able to drink again. I ha ve lost over 3.5 stone since last year. I don’t want to lose any more weight. I am eating lots of vegetables and the rest of my diet is really healthy. I never eat sweets and the only fruit I eat are bananas. I go walkimg or cycling everyday as I’m not back working yet due to this prolonged illness. What else ca n I :do to get be,better. I am desperate to get well. I’m being prescribed frizium to help me sleep and reduce the anxiety.

Yours in desperation

Donal

• Jurriaan Plesman says:

It seems you get wonderful help from your neurologist and a healthy diet like the hypoglycemic diet will only help you for speedy recovery. Supplementation with zinc will also speed up wound healing. Please discuss with your doctor.

2. Maggie says:

I did the questionaire based on how I used to feel before I started taking a really good really strong probiotics!! I would have scored a 28 several months back but am just so grateful that I am feeling 98% better today. I started the probiotic for an infection I had and about 10 days into them I was like what is going on, my mood was great (maybe better than it had ever been), my energy was up and my ADD was much better. My son who started them at the same time said the same thing. I kept taking them and I keep feeling better and better. All my symptoms of hypoglycemia have almost completely cleared up. My stamina for exercise has increased tremendously (not necessarily my desire), my mood is very high stable, my ability to handle stress is way up. My cravings for sugar have almost completely gone away. I tried to cut out fruit all together but notice for me I feel best if I eat at least 2 pieces of fruit each day and if I don’t, I don’t feel quite as good. From my research fruit, particularily fructose, feeds healthy bacteria in the gut so I always try to eat a little fruit when I take my probiotics. Thought I would share my experience.

• Jurriaan Plesman says:

THat is tremendous good news. Yes I also recommend taking probiotics and combined with the hypoglycemic diet.

3. Sharon Casey says:

Recently (about a week ago) I woke up one morning & could barely move. I couldn’t lift my head off the pillow. Needless to say, I slept most of the day. We have a glucometer because my husband occasionally has low blood sugar, so I decided to check my sugar level. It was 88. That’s VERY low for me. I’ve NEVER had low glucose problems before. We tried glucose tablets, lean protein, carbs,…you name it. My levels would rise to about 130, but within 30-40 minutes they’d be back down in the 70’s or 80’s. One morning, my husband had gone to work, my youngest son was at school and my oldest son was sleeping after working 3rd shift,…I couldn’t get the energy to get out of bed until 1:00 p.m.. My sister even came over and started an IV, giving me 1000 liters of fluids, thinking it was dehydration. I went to my doc but had to see his PA. She ordered a GTT which I’m having tomorrow morning. I’m scared to death of a misdiagnosis!! I’ve read every article I could find, and memorized statutes and factoids to back up my case. I don’t know what else to do. What puzzles me is the seemingly sudden onset. Looking back though, there have been small signs. Irritability, tiredness, weakness, confusion, memory loss dizziness, etc. I’m praying they do the test correctly and don’t dismiss my suggestions because at this point, I plan on being forceful. Something is wrong! I know my body, and although 70 might fall in the text book description of normal, it doesn’t for me. My body temp isn’t even text book normal! 🙂 Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

4. Ellen says:

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia nearly 10 years ago and have managed it fairly well through diet but I feel like it’s gotten worse lately. Even though I haven’t made any changes to my diet or exercise regime, I’ve been much more tired and getting lots of headaches and stomach pains. I went and spoke to a dietician but she’d never even heard of hypoglycemia in people without diabetes! Just wondering if anyone knows any good dieticians in Melbourne who would be able to help me out?

5. Miles says:

I score high on the hypoglycemia test(29) and I try to follow the diet, and when I do it seems to help. The trouble I have is staying away from coffee and alcohol, as well as eating hypoglycemic when in social situations(i dont want people to think I am weird for only eating meat etc.or disrespect someone for not trying their cookies) I have never gone to a doctor because I think he will just think I am a hypochodriac or something.

6. Christina says:

I’ve dealt with hypoglycemia my whole life. I now have a 2.5 year old who is exhibiting some pretty scary signs of nocturnal hypoglycemia and I cannot get her doctor to listen to me. He’s instead ordered an MRI, Catscan, and EKG to rule out a brain tumor or heart arrhythmia – which is all fine, but it seems to me that not listening to the mother or paying attention to family history is a big mistake. He told me hypoglycemia is very rare in toddlers and there is no testing for it. Is that true? It’s the primary reason he is running all these other tests for worst case scenarios. I’m going to start testing her blood sugar in the mornings and at night and keep a log so we can see what’s going on, but in the meantime, what do you recommend for a toddler dealing with this?

• jur says:

Yes, your doctor may be right by saying that hypoglycemia is rare among babies. I don’t know whether the test for hypoglycemia as designed by Dr George Samra is suitable for babies. See: Testing for Hypoglycemia,
      But I suggest that reducing sugar intake in the babies diet may be a valid test, and see if the babies improves. It may be an idea to get a referral to a Nutritional Doctor. Looking up a doctors at ACNEM (google search) helps you to get the name of nutritional doctor in your area. Otherwise search Looking for Complementary Health Practitioners at

• jur says:

HI Christiana,
      Yes it is more or less true that hypoglycemia is rare among babies. But what about diabetes type I?

Hypoglycemia arises usually after a long period of overconsumption of sugars, especially in the first ten years of life.

It could be possible that we are dealing with allergies. Has he/she been breast fed? I think the best is to see a pediatrician.

If all the test are negative, then I suggest ask to be referred to a nutritional doctor.

Let us know how you getting along. I must be a worry for you.

7. My Doctor didn’t give me a diet sheet that I can go on; or any online sites that can help me. I don’t know how much carbs or sugar to watch out for on labels? I always see sugar free things in the stores, but when I look on the back it as a lot of carbs. How can I tell what kind of sugar free things to eat… Can you help me?

8. Frankie says:

I was diagnosed insulin resistant in 1999. I was severely over weight and told that if I didn’t start dropping weight before I turned 35 I would become insulin dependent. By 2003 I was placed on Metformin because my blood sugars had continued to climb. I have had hypothyroidism and at one point my thyroid was even declared “dead”. At no time since 1999 has anyone tried treating my thyroid, all the doctors will tell me is that the tests are within normal range.
    Over the past year, I have been suffering with extreme fatigue, severe intolerance to cold, irritability to the point I don’t even want to be around myself, depression (I want to cry almost continuously for no reason), I have hardly any short term memory, I cannot maintain a steady train of thought for more than 2-5 minutes at a time, I have to leave reminders for myself to do even the simplest of tasks. I wake up at night drenched in sweat, suffer from constant insomnia and all my BGL’s are in the 70’s. If I do manage to bring them up to normal range, they drop down to the 70’s within an hour or two. My vision has been effected, I’m always hungry, and the symptoms are effecting my daily life as well as my job. Blood tests apparently are coming back within normal range but I feel so far from normal. There are days I feel drugged or like I’m going to pass out but no one seems able to help me. Can anyone on here point me into a new direction as the doctors all seem to think there is nothing wrong with me and that I’m making things up?
    Please help if you can. I’m out of options and afraid I’ll not only lose my job but lose my ability to function normally in my life 🙁

9. Jessi says:

I have been fighting, well my body, since I was in 3rd grade. I am now 35 years old. I started blacking out for “unknown” reasons in 3rd grade. The first test they did was to see if I was hypoglycemic, and it was negative. So, for the last 25 years I have been sure I wasn’t. But, last week I gave up all processed sugars to try to be healthier. It’s funny how giving up sugar can make me eat more sugar…well, to compensate I was eating apples and grapes. I was doing okay at first, then things got worse. I couldn’t stay awake (I have this problem a lot anyway, and have recently been put on prescription meds for alertness!) But, this was way worse than ever before! I couldn’t drive home from work without stopping to rest! I was shaky, which is common for me, especially when I need to eat! But, all of a sudden I was STARVING! I had to eat (apples, so to stay healthy!) constantly!! Finally, when I mentioned it to my mother she said it sounded a lot like hypoglycemia. I still brushed it off, until a nurse friend told me the same…then I started looking into it. Needless to say I scored 23 on the quiz, and I have more symptoms then were on this list (I actually black out, had headaches and seizures and staring) I also have issues with tacacardia, and recently bought a fitbit to track my random heart rate! The only other odd thing, I haven’t seen it anywhere is if I have to urinate my heart rate skyrockets! And I really start shaking; often that’s when I will black out. I called my doctor to get tested, but we were struggling to figure out which tests were best! I did tell her the one you wrote about, but had heard of a different one where they test you in the morning, and it monitors the glucose levels from over the night. I don’t know the name of it, but wanted to see if it was a better or different test, I don’t want to be misdiagnosed again! Thank you for any help you can give! I went back to my normal diet (I was TOTALLY sugar/carb free this weekend and was totally clear headed for the first time in my life!! My arms and legs didn’t feel like they were full of lead like they normally do, they are so heavy to move it takes too much sometimes!) But, I went back to my normal diet for testing, and am fuzzy headed and feel bad all over. I am very ready to feel better!!

10. Matt Bryan says:

I am a vegan. Your dietary recommendations are very animal protein heavy. Would you recommend complex carbohydrates for a vegan? For example oatmeal, brown rice, and potatoes?